Almont is the sixth oldest village in the State of Michigan, founded in 1833 by Daniel Black when he purchased land for $1.25 an acre from the United States Government and built the first log house on Main Street. This document of purchase is on file at the Village library.
The Village, which was originally called Newburg, was established in 1834. On January 5, 1846, the name of Almont was adopted in honor of Juan V. Almonte, a Mexican diplomat, ambassador and General . After the Civil War, the village of Almont boomed. Settlers from Ohio, New York, and Pennsylvania flocked into the township and county, securing the rich farm land from the territory at $1.25 an acre.
Almont was an important community during the settlement of Lapeer and Sanilac Counties and to the lumber industry that was the foundation of the economy at the time. The railroad line that reached Almont, starting in 1882, was a narrow gauge branch of the Port Huron and Northwest Railroad. The railroad was never extended and was abandoned in 1942. The first electric streetcar from Detroit reached Almont in 1914. The streetcar also brought electricity with it, as Almont was one of the first communities in the area to be served by electric power. The streetcar was later extended to Imlay City and served the community until 1925.
Since 1909, the Village of Almont has celebrated a Homecoming every five years. During Homecoming current and previous residents of the Almont congregate to celebrate the heritage and history of Almont.
The present council-manager form of government was established in 1968 and a new Village and Township municipal building was completed in 1979, with an addition being constructed in 2002.
The first sanitary sewer and water mains were laid out in 1857 and the sewage treatment plant constructed in 1989 at a cost of 4.7 million dollars. The plant was placed into service in May of 1989, with a capacity of 320,000 (0.32 MGD) gallons per day. In 2003 the plant was upgraded with the addition of an equalization basin.