The Village of Almont was established in 1834. In the early years, the Town Marshall took care of all matters of law and received a salary of $150.00 per year. During that time Almont had its own jail and meeting minutes show that in 1884 the jail was advertised for sale. The jail was then mentioned again in 1878 when the council voted to have "some good locks installed." In 1878 the first constable was elected by the voters.